View Single Post
Old 12th August 2013, 19:20   #19831  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I don't recommend using the anti-ringing filter with SoftCubic scaling, and you may wish to reconsider using Jinc scaling for Chroma if it allows you to use better Luma settings. (though SoftCubic is still my preferred algorithm for DVD content anyway)

Most people will not see a difference between Bicubic 75 AR, Lanczos 3 AR, or Jinc 3 AR chroma.
It also depends what your display is doing - many process in 4:2:2, so anything above Bicubic 75 AR is wasted.

If you search through my post history, you should be able to find some detailed comparisons that illustrate the worst-case scenarios for chroma. (red text on black)

The short version is to use one of the three options I listed above. Use Jinc 3 if your display is capable of showing 4:4:4 and you have the GPU power spare, but in most cases, you won't even see the difference there. I would be happy using Bicubic 75 AR.
Thanks, I was hoping you'd throw out a few tips I always enjoy and certainly appreciate all the testing and posts you've made re: scaling.

You've given me good food for thought. I have Jinc 3+AR for both on my main HTPC (core i5, Radeon HD 6670 w/ 1GB GDDR 5). I'll turn off AR for Chroma and see how that looks.

On the Intel HD Graphics system in question Jinc 3+AR for Chroma disrupted the rendering, but I haven't had a chance to try it without AR. When I've time, I'll try it and the others you mention. It's mostly a TV PC (US digital through a Ceton InfiniTV 4), and most video files watched are low-res, so I end up with Soft Cubic ##+AR for Image.

TV is an LG 42LD550.

Anyway, thanks again
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote