View Single Post
Old 28th October 2007, 03:35   #1215  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

an observation I recently made regarding the delay of DTS-HD and TrueHD converted FLAC files: I've only made FLAC out of 3 DTS-HD movies so far, but none of them seemed to need any delay.

All the TrueHD flacs I've made needed some delay, mostly ~100-200ms. im so far to say that, when both streams, video and audio, begin at the same PTS in the evo, then I can work mathematically. I compare the length of each track, remuxed video to .mkv and length of the FLAC with mediainfo and use the difference as delay. So far all of the tracks I did that with looked good.

But the same thing just doesnt work for the DTS-HD flacs. the delay I get here from mediainfo is mostly <100ms difference and therefore hard to spot anyway, whether its needed or not. But when looking extremely closely it has always looked better when I applied no delay at all for those files instead of relying on the mathematical way, as I can do for the TrueHD FLACs. I dont know if thats maybe due to a read error of mediainfo, that it reads wrong information about the dts-hd tracks, but once its in FLAC format it shouldnt matter anyway any more, whether it was DTS-HD or TrueHD before. Since I've only had 3 DTS-HD tracks so far I cant say if all such tracks wont need any delay, but lets see what the future will bring.

So to sum it up: What worked for me for finding delay for TrueHD and DTS-HD is

1. no delay at all needed for DTS-HD so far
2. TrueHD delay calculated by length of .mkv video (23.9760239fps) - length of converted FLAC track.

the result in both cases looked well and COULD(!) maybe be completely identical with the original source status.