View Single Post
Old 13th May 2009, 22:52   #225  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
I'm not that stupid; I'll research the correct filename, delete the codec only, and than run a registry cleanup removing unlinked/unreferenced codecs. Works fine on XP also, when used as a last resort. Never had a blue screen since i stopped using Win 98SE, and my current system has an install-time of several years now. So please do not patronize me ...
I'll patronize you because your talking about doing something on an OS you have never used nor do you even know the full extent of the possible damage that it could do. Your pretty much saying that hey since it worked before I might as well do it now. That's a piss poor way of administering a system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You need to get your facts straight. I never ever said anything in this topic about ffdshow being awesome. I never said that randomly deleting dlls is a good idea. I only said that your BSOD remark is total nonsense. So STFU indeed.
the ffdshow is the only free 3rd party codec really being discussed so I used it as a generalization for your argument. I'll use "third party codec x" from now on.

Also how is a BSOD nonsense. it is a perfect possibility if someone goes dicking around with system files. Who knows at this point what consequences could follow, hell even if it results in WMP crashing it's still an unintended result. So please don't tell me to STFU based on your thought that a BSOD might be absolutely absurd when it is still a possibility.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote