View Single Post
Old 1st January 2019, 17:08   #54065  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Why?
Thanks.
One typical real world example why FSW is better than FSE that you can test yourself (and I hope no one is offended for the somewhat OT post):

You can probably recreate this by just right clicking your mouse in the player field but here is exactly my method and why it affects me:

Set FSW in madVR by turning off FSE.
Play a title.
Bring up the madVR OSD.
You will see 'D3D11 fullscreen windowed'.

I have mapped keystroke 'C' to assign 'player menu (long) for MPC-HC/BE in the players 'keys' options. During playback when I press it, I have access to the players menu to navigate and select any option. I use it for subtitle selection mainly. This key also matches the context menu in KODI fwiw when harmonizing remote control functions. You can just press 'C' on your keyboard once you entered that keystroke value in MPC keys option if it doesn't match the 'menu' button on your remote for some odd reason.

So, during playback without interrupting, I press the menu key on my remote once and the MPC menu overlays on top of the title in progress allowing me to navigate with the directional keys to what I desire and all is perfect.

Now set FSE in madVR.
Play a title.
Bring up the madVR OSD.
You will see 'exclusive' mode.

Press 'C'. You will notice the screen flicker a couple times. This is because it's trying to come out of FSE and go into FSW. The menu interaction only works in FSW.

Ultimately, it isn't going to go into FSW, you'll be returned to your movie in progress, without the menu displaying and managed to do nothing but create black screen flashes for nothing and miss what was playing during the fiasco.

You can fiddle doing this procedure if you time the button pressing 'C' multiple times and if you time it just right, eventually it will switch. Once it has finally come out of FSE and into FSW you will notice madVR OSD shows it's not in FSE anymore and has switched to FSW and you can finally access the menu you've been struggling to navigate to. Once you've made your selection in the MPC menu it has to come out of FSW and back to FSE which exhibits more screen flashes and once again interrupts playback of the movie in progress. It's really a mess tbh.

I think the best thing to do is use FSW vs FSE when you can. I'd use it for all file types except UHD HDR and 3D MVC requires FSE in my environment. So, I set up profiles to make the selection automatic.

Happy new year!

Last edited by brazen1; 1st January 2019 at 17:16.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote