View Single Post
Old 5th June 2011, 17:28   #7874  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
I think further madvr version had better select most matchable display modes automatically just like reclock while playback,no need to type a series of digital manually in display modes box instead.Because many fans don't know how to type these digital in display modes box,I wonder if author(madshi) of madvr is thinking it over
The current version of the madVR display mode changer is only a first simple and stupid version. I've always said that. If you don't like, don't use it. There'll be an improved version in a future madVR version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
so is there a way to get smooth playback on 60hz monitors???
Currently no. But probably yes, with a future madVR version. That will take some time, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Entering 1080p60 in custom display switching in MadVR results in two instances of madHcCtrl in Task Manager.
That isn't a bug, if you're using the automatic refresh rate changer. madVR loads a helper instance of madHcCtrl which has the duty to restore the original display mode after the media player closed down. Since madVR is already gone at that time, madVR can't restore the original display mode. So madVR starts an extra madHcCtrl instance and tells it to restore the original display mode at that moment when the media player is closed. The additional madHcCtrl instance sits idle doing nothing but waiting for the media player to close. So no performance problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
madshi, I have 1080i59, 1080p23, and 1080p50 in that order, in the auto rate change options. When I play a 59/60p video, madVR switches to the 23p option. Is it supposed to work that way? I'd rather have it switch to 1080i59. I don't have 1080p59 in the options cause I'd rather have the 29.97 fps videos play at 1080i59, and if I have 1080p59 there, 1080i gets ignored in its favor.
No, that's not how it's supposed to be. What happens if you only put 1080i59 in the auto rate change option? Does madVR switch to 1080i59 then? I rather guess that for some reason switching to 1080i59 doesn't work. Not sure why. Maybe Windows itself doesn't like it. Are you sure that this mode actually exists in your GPU display mode list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
I use the latest version (madVR v0.61) and I have some errors "updating vertex buffer failed" during playback.

Here's the log file: madVR log

I didn't find anything useful in the previous posts, is there something to do on my side?
Weird. How much RAM does your GPU have? Is it possible that you're running out of RAM? Not sure what else it could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomyzoom View Post
Anyway to autoset frequency to 50hz for 24/23p videos in madVR?
Maybe. Depends on what other refresh rates combinations you want with which movie frame rates. Give us a full list, then we can tell you if it's possible to do with the current madVR solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccirilli View Post
Since I've started using MadVR with MPC-HC, I have not been able to get the auto refresh rate changer to work, no matter what I do. My display will support 24HZ, but it stays on 60HZ for all my MKV's. Attempt to force it by renaming a file to "movie" p24.mkv won't work either. I can force 24HZ refresh using the rate changer in MPC-HC, but this creates the famous green bar/color distortions in MPC-HC. Any suggestions how I can troubleshoot the madvr rate changer? I'd love to get this working.
You have to enter the proper modes into the madVR settings dialog. These modes must actually exist. You can't just list modes you'd like to have. You must be able to manually activate those modes via the Windows control panels. Only then madVR can also automatically activate them.

Quote:
I realized for the refresh rate feature to work, the option "use a separate device for presentation" in the general Madvr settings must be enabled.
No, the "use a separate device for presentation" option has nothing to do with the refresh rate feature.

Quote:
I'm still getting a green bar and distorted colors in MPC-HC when refresh switches to 24HZ.
Try using a different decoder. Maybe that helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
MadShi: i got a homemade 2:35:1 masking system and i use it on the lower part of my 16:9 screen and i would really like to see your seekbar to stay inside of the movie even when i resize 2:35:1 to 16:9 (ffdshow move blackbar to the lower part of the screen) would this be possible?? it would really mean alot to me
Properly supporting special projection setups is on my to do list (I have a CIH projection setup myself). I don't know if I will be able to comfortably support your special setup, though. Maybe yes, maybe no, can't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
Hi Madshi could you add hermite scaling (i.e. bicubic with b and c at 0, something like this http://svn.int64.org/viewvc/int64/re...c/kernels.html) to the scaling option of madvr please?
Why? Do you have sample images which show that it works better than the other resamplers in madVR? I'm a bit hesitant adding many more options. Don't want to make the settings dialog too complicated. So there better be a good reason to add a new filter, even if it's easy to implement (like this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
That said, there doesn't seem to be any measure of aliasing, and sharpness is very low.
Exactly. That website doesn't mention/measure aliasing at all, and it's a very important aspect of resampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Oh and there is a great example of why scaling should be done in linear light
That mostly applies to DOWNscaling, though. I'm not sure if linear light scaling brings much benefit for UPscaling, which is what most madVR users do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
What do you think about the "Magic Kernel" ?
I've double checked that Lanczos image on that website and found that it was produced with a broken Lanczos implementation. A proper Lanczos implementation (like the one in madVR) easily beats that "Magic Kernel", IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetguy View Post
Since 0.61 a horizontal black or coloured (usually green) horizontal line appears after some time. It is about one pixel wide and stretches the entire width of the screen. I have also experienced a similar vertical line, and one time both at the same time. The line is only there in exclusive mode. The line disappears for some time after pausing or toggling between windowed and exclusive modes.
Things like this are often a result of a decoder <-> renderer miscommunication. Which decoder are you using? Try a different one. The MPC-HC internal decoders are especially notorious for making problems, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
I always assumed that "hardware decoding" is preferable, if not necessary, to achieve optimum viewing.
Glad you found the way to software decoding. Personally, I prefer it over hardware decoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
anyways, there's one feature that would really rock: YV16/YV24 support
Funny. I've recently added YV16/YV24 support, and support for loads of other FourCC formats, too.

Quote:
What I understood is that LaTo is stacking MSB/LSB 16bit into YV16/YV24...
Huh? YV16/YV24 are both strictly 8bit formats. There are several 16bit FourCC formats available, though, which the next madVR build will support.

Quote:
Anyway, it would be great if we could find a "hack" that everyone would follow, so we could get >8bit post-processing in ffdshow.
Why implementing a hack if there's a proper solution available? Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
The good thing about this hack is that it can use the existing avisynth infrastructure normaly (with some avs2yuv effort you can even encode it in x264) without causing any new problems, it is purely filter/function-side solution (thus can be dropped later).

Naturaly, real 16bit colorspaces in avisynth would be better, but avisynth developers are busy enough and the development is slow already - 2.6 still isn't done after several years.

So... real 16bit needs rewrite of filters AND avisynth, this hack only needs rewrite of filters. Some of them are already available, and as long as plugin authors are willing, it can take off, because no messing with avisynth core is needed. (And modifying those plugins for non-hacky core 16bit probably won't be hard one day). Imho, for an "ugly hack", this has a beauty of its own.
I understand that this "hack" is a good thing for internal avisynth use. However, avisynth by itself does not output to DirectShow. IMHO, avisynth filters should use this hack (if there's no better way), but at the very end of the avisynth filter chain, before the data is fed into the DirectShow chain, the hacked data format should be converted to a proper 16bit FourCC. DirectShow supports proper 16bit formats, so it would be very easy to implement.

Quote:
A full 16bit video pipeline, ouuuuh I like the sound of that
No problem at all. Just find someone who makes ffdshow accept that hacked YV16/24 data from avisynth and convert it to a proper 16bit format. That solution would work right away with the next madVR version.

I don't really feel like supporting a hacked data format in madVR. And honestly, I see no benefit of doing that. ffdshow does not output YV16/24 now, so you need to find someone to improve ffdshow, anyway. Instead of making your buddy add YV16/24 output support to ffdshow, make him convert the hacked YV16/24 data to a proper 16bit FourCC format. This should be *really* easy to do and then we'd have a proper ffdshow version with a proper and documented 16bit output, which would work perfectly fine with the next madVR version.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote