Thread: VC-1 and H264
View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:59   #30  |  Link
Shapierian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
It shows 25 to 35% bitrate reduction, and it's a document meant to promote Mpeg4 over Mpeg2, so I think I'll prefer my figures.

Anyway, the document claims a 50-66% bitrate reduction for AVC and it's an overstatement. 50%, perhaps, 66%, never.

Legitimate ? where ? I can see WMV, VP6, RV, MOV ( h264, sorenson, and sometimes Mpeg4 SP ). But nothing else.

I still stand by my point of view : mpeg4 sp/asp only broke through for illegitimate distribution.
A lot of the QuickTime6 era stuff is MPEG-4 SP. RV is closely related to MPEG-4 both are derived from H.263. FFMPEG decodes all three with a common decoder.

Also in the internet world, rather than making an interoperable part in the middle of the data flow like in the broadcast world, the video format was the last mile so that's where companies tried to exert control hurting adoption of an open standard. Let's not forget Microsoft distributed 3 broken MPEG4 implementations before admitting they had no longer had interest in the format.

But to get back to the point at hand it was used by a major market player QuickTime (and also minor players Blizzard and Stage6).

It was more popular for illegitimate works but calling it a flop for that would be like calling MP3 a flop. Divx is the MP3 of video, that is by no means a flop.

Microsoft which should have had every market advantage with MPEG-4, being the authors of a reference implementation never actually did anything with it. It didn't fail them, they failed it.

Last edited by Shapierian; 23rd July 2007 at 20:19.