View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2005, 11:34   #1  |  Link
batch

Compress Extras Only - Solution

I wish DVD-Rebuilder would include an option to leave a VTS as it is. I sometimes need it when I have an original of 5GB and I would like to keep the main movie intact, compressing only the extras.

In the meantime, I figured a workaround that I'll share, in case there's anyone else with the same problem:

1) Put DVD-RB in no compression mode and backup. You can interrupt after it processes the VTS you're interested in keeping

2) Go into the output folder and move the *.MPV files from the VTS you want to keep into another folder (for instance, V01000000001001.MPV through V01000000001024.MPV).

3) Switch DVD-RB back into your normal compression mode (I use CCE), use 3-click mode and prepare

4) Use RB-Opt to set the size of the VTS you want to keep to 99.9% You can also reduce the number of passes to make the encode faster.

5) Encode as normal. (If you're feeling lucky, play with Encode_Progress entry in REBUILDER.INF to skip encoding)

6) After encoding, rename all the *.MPV files you kept to *.M2V and move them back to the output folder, thus replacing the files encoded at 99% and giving you back the original untouched quality of the VTS

7) Rebuild, and you're done

That's it. Seems to work fine and gives you the untouched original quality of the movie (or other VTS) while compressing the extras. I really wish DVD-RB would have an option to do this automatically, and this is the only thing I miss in an otherwise excelent program.

Last edited by batch; 22nd May 2005 at 17:10.
batch is offline   Reply With Quote