View Single Post
Old 15th October 2018, 10:12   #11  |  Link
K.i.N.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I looked into this a few years back. While we have lots of precision in the source, it was all graded and rendered for 709 SDR. One could probably use those assets to remaster it to HDR, but that would require regrading, rerendering the CGI stuff, and recompositing. Feasible, certainly, and a lot less work than doing a project from scratch. But still a sizable effort to make it look like "Real" HDR, and that's even assuming they did the RAW acquisition preserving the highlights and such.

The 32bit exr's that are available seem to have the 709 grading baked in indeed (which is weird) but its not that big of a deal since they kept the dynamic range and full exposure info in there (they aren't clipped). So, no problems there.
Those exr's seem to be saved in 'only' 1080p though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I've been involved in a number of HDR remastering projects, and doing it well is quite a lot of effort. Particularly for something as CGI-centric as Tears of Steel.
CGI data is pretty much ideal. It doesn't get any better than that.
Of course you always have those people who render everything clipped and bake weird color corrections right into the renders, that's another story. But that also happens with video footage, so no difference in that regard.
CGI with the rec.709 profile baked in is still miles easier to work with than video footage with the camera's color response + some custom curve baked in though.

Last edited by K.i.N.G; 15th October 2018 at 10:18.
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote