View Single Post
Old 26th February 2002, 21:41   #3  |  Link
gerti67
Reloaded!

Q45: How fast should I burn the .bin/.cue files?
A:"A recorder capable of a maximum speed of 24x is optimized for recording at this speed. Recording at lower speeds means that the recording process lasts longer, thus generating more heat, which lowers the quality of the final cd and stresses the drive.
On the other hand, a drive of lower quality may not perform well at its maximum speed due to a number of reasons. Bad design resulting in mechanical instability when the blank cd rotates at 24x may be one.
To summarize, a quality drive will not have any problem operating at its highest speed, using a media which allows such speed. On the contrary, its maximum speed is also the optimal one. However, a drive of lower quality may show an erratic behaviour, obliging its user to select a lower speed, especially for audio cds, VCDs and SVCDs."(quoted from this place. Here and here you can find some more technical examples, showing that using a certified media the average number of C1 decrease while using higher speed).
Thus, if you have burned faster and have any problems please try again at a slower speed. If you are new to DVD2SVCD always make your first SVCD's burnning at 4X. Next time, try 8X, and then 12X, and then... until you are certain that you have reached the highest speed allowed by your drive/media/computer with no problems with the SVCD's.
Be sure that you have been warned that burning at any higher than 4X can and does cause playback problems for some people.

Q46: How can I encode just one (some) chapter(s) - for testing purposes for example?
A: That's pretty easy if you're using the internal routines from DVD2SVCD for the ripping step.
1. Start DVD2SVCD and go to "DVD Rip" tab.
2. Make sure "Activate DVD ripping" is enabled and "Use Internal routines" is ticked also.
3. If you re-rip previously ripped *.vob files (e.g. ripped with Smartripper or DVD Decrypter) from your harddrive then make sure to specify a directory for the "Rip to folder" path that is different from the one that holds your already ripped *.vob files.
4. Go to "Conversion" tab and load the appropriate *.ifo file from harddisk or from the DVD by hitting the button with the folder symbol or the one with the CD symbol on it.
5. After the *.ifo file is loaded and parsed by DVD2SVCD the "Movie length" pulldown will show the total time of the selected movie.
6. Click on the "Movie length" pulldown and a little window titled "Select chapters" will appear.
7. Now mark only those chapters you want to convert with DVD2SVCD - you should hit the "None" button first to unmark all chapters - just makes it easier.
8. Now close the "Select chapters" window by hitting the "X" button and the cumulated time of all marked chapters should appear in the "Movie length" pulldown.
9. Hit the "Go!" button to start the encode of only the selected chapter(s).

Some hint: You can use this method to do a "ripping-by-chapters" encode of your DVDs. Just select about the first half of the chapters if going for two CDs and follow the above instructions. So you can convert a DVD in two steps after doing the same with the second half of the chapters. Another advantage is you will have a split point that is at the end/beginning of a chapter like it is on the DVD and not during a conversation or an action scene.

Some remark: The correctly re-ripping of the *.vob files in order to encode only some chapter(s) might fail if you have used any other ripper than the built in routines or vStrip support for ripping the *.vob files to your hard disk.

Q47: I just have x number of DVDs and I just want to rip them. I want to process the ripped vob files later?
A: Just start DVD2SVCD as normal. Activate internal ripping. When DVD2SVCD starts ripping the first vob file, press the X upper right corner (close) and answer YES, to close DVD2SVCD. DVD2SVCD will finish the ripping and when it's done it'll close the program. When you're ready to process the ripped vob files, disable the ripping.

Q48: I have been having sync and other problems with VOB files I have ripped with another ripper, like SmartRipper?
A: Always use the internal routines or the built in Vstrip unless you have no other choice. SmartRipper and other rippers are known to cause issues occasionally with DVD2SVCD.

Q49: Does DVD2SVCD support dual processors?
A: DVD2SVCD is a frontend to multiple steps. Most of these steps don't support multiple processors, in fact only CCE and TMPG do. The good thing about this is that the most time consuming process, video encoding, is performed by one of these two programs. On the downside, these programs rely on the frame serving by avisynth. Avisynth, sadly, does NOT support dual processors.
Practically, this means that:
1) when encoding with CCE, speed is mostly limited by avisynth. Avisynth is using 50% of your cpu resources, CCE only needs about 10-15%. Speed will be faster compared to a single processor pc, but not that much.
2) when encoding with the not so fast program TMPG, speed is limited by both avisynth and TMPG. Most of the time 100% of your cpu resources will be used. Speed will be a lot faster compared to a single processor pc, but it will still be slower than encoding with CCE.
3) This does aid in your ability to use your computer for other tasks while DVD2SVCD is running.
4) Of course, your OS must support dual processors, NT, 2000, XP only.
- thanks to da franksta

Q50: I'm using Iauthor, which creates cif image files. However, I would like to use bin/cue image files instead of cif. What should I do?
A:
Dowload the latest BETA version of cdmage (1.02.1 beta 5). Extract it and open DVD2SVCD. Go to "finalize" tab, enable "use cdmage", and put its path. Now DVD2SVCD will make cif to bin/cue convertion automatically. Note: to use CDmage manually remember to choose mode2/2352

Q51: I have installed DVD2SVCD, but I keep getting errors that programs cannot be found.
A: Make sure you have installed a full bundled version and not just an upgrade to a full version. Full versions usually are greater then 5mb in size. Upgrades are much smaller. Sometimes only upgrades to a build are released. In this case download the latest full bundle and the latest upgrade, install the full bundle and then install the upgrade over the bundle without uninstalling the full bundle first. Upgrades are cumulative, meaning that there is no need to download every upgrade to get to the level you want, just get the latest one.

Q52: My audio and video are out of sync from a DVD I ripped is there something to try right away?
A: Check to see if this applies to you first. Select internal routines to rip, click on the time shown on the conversion tab and see if the first chapter has a 0 value. If it does uncheck it and start over.

Q53: My computer seems to crash at random when using dvd2svcd?
A: DVD2SVCD is using some pretty system intensive programs like BeSweet and CCE. Usually these crashes is hardware related, mostly it's the memory that fails, but also Overclocking is known to be an issue. Try any of the many tools for memory testing or Downclock your computer.
Memtest 86
Prime 95

Last edited by Nick; 12th June 2004 at 12:09.