View Single Post
Old 27th July 2005, 02:01   #24  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte
Groovy
One reason I could think of is that with WAVE_EX multichannel files, applications don't have to guess the channel order - they can rely on the information stored inside the WAV. WavPack for example uses the channel information stored inside WAVE_EX files to decide about the channel grouping.
I didnt know that. But i was thinking.... if people made a wavEX out of a normal wav, ww has no clue about the channels which have been used, so im thinking to only enable conversions from wavEX -> wavEX when no channel-mappings are enabled. Or i could just set the channel mask to 0 to indicate i dont know what channels are available, but i dont know if that is allowed, and i think some programs might crash if i do that...... im still not really sure how im going to solve this..... maybe ill have a look at other programs that make wavEX and get some inspiration .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte
Another cool feature would be a metadata viewer/editor (it would be very interesting to be able to see what applications store in addtional chunks within the WAV)
Well that is indeed a splendid idea. I was thinking about this before (there is a repair soundfile menu item IIRC in v0.2b), but i postponed it because my wav parser wasnt 100% according to the specifications. It accepted almost all regulars wav's, but not all. Although i havent found a wav (until i used mctoolkit) that wasnt accepted by ww, i knew some legal wavs might actually not be recognised. Since i now also have updated the wav parser, i already decided that i finaly could make some kind of editor to edit some of the data in the wavheader.

BTW in my tests i noticed almost all programs fail on some wavs that are perfectly legal according to the specifications. Even an advanced program like foobar2k makes at least one mistake when reading wavs. So doing to much crazy stuff with the chunks might not be a very wise thing to do.

Last edited by johnman; 27th July 2005 at 02:37.
johnman is offline   Reply With Quote