View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2009, 03:12   #20  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

RFE set all PGC breakpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
It's called the help file. Soon, it will be context sensitive (version 9.3). In the meantime, download it from the PgcEdit site. And read this. After that, I am afraid you'll need to do some more work for yourself.
That will accomplish what you want - to break on all PGCs. Or use Next PB if that is more akin to your needs.

As for your rhetorical questions, what r0lZ is saying is that the functionality is there already. There no need for it, even though I am sure it won't break anything or be hard to implement - it's just not needed. Just try what has been suggested.

One option may be simpler but would actually lose functionality. Sometimes, you want to break at a playback point, other times at the entry/exit point. Sometimes, you wanna break on menu PGCs only, other times, titles, and in your case, all of the them. Anyway, once set, the functions are remembered until you unset them or restart PgcEdit.

I repeat, the functionality is there. Read the help file.

Regards
I just tried Trace Mode->Breakpoints and selected Breakpoints (for Menus, Titles, & Log Output) then ran the session doing what I normally do. It highlighted each PGC after execution HOWEVER the 1st time I found a preview that I checked 'blank' on it unhighlighted everything that had been executed and proceeded to highlight the new executions when I went back to Run. When I was done lots of executions that I'd gone over were not highlighted. That wasn't quite what I'm hoping for.

The other thing about doing it this way is that I'm unable to unset PGC breakpoints as I execute to them. So I have to do lots of extra (re)Run's that would be optimized away if the 'set all PGC breakpoints' approach was used instead.

Another thing about turning on the 3 breakpoint at modes is that it doesn't mark the PGC's in red like toggling a breakpoint does. I was using that as a marker. I'd do various edits of menu buttons and PGCs manually, then toggle each BP on manually, then trace through the movie. If I wanted a PGC to stay in the execution flow I'd toggle it off then keep running until I'd been through the movie, language menus, and deleted scenes. When done the red PGCs could be carefully removed, then run the DVD remove useless stuff to finish off the cleanup. Clear all the breakpoints and trace through to make sure all is still well, then run FixVTS and the shorter DVD was good to go.

Sorry I'm unable to cite every reason why the RFE would be a nice (hopefully painless) addition. You're points are true that I can turn on lots of modes (or just write down each PGC as I trace through them) and tweak the others as I trace through. My goal is to reduce the movie with minimal mouse/keyboard invocations (probably because of the tendonitis).

I am concerned about your point that the RFE would take away some functionality. What would be lost? I definitely do not want to lose anything. It seemed to me that if all breakpoints can be cleared doing the opposite would help me because I could just turn ones off as I execute to them.

Maybe I'm missing something. Can I use the Trace Mode-> Breakpoint's (Menu, Title, & Log Output) and toggle off individual PGC breakpoints the 1st time I trace to them so the other breakpoints still exist but the manual turning off of individual PGC breaks also coexists? That's kinda the crux of what I'm after.

I agree that PgcEdit is extremely powerful and way cool, especially all the great upgrades that came in v9.

I guess it's not uncommon for latecomers to see other paths to reach their goal, when using the tools, that the architects perform using the steps they've gotten used to from their inception.

Either way, excellent tool!

THANX
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote