View Single Post
Old 6th November 2016, 15:42   #21186  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
But as a IT Professional you should actually know that Windows isn't really a good reliable Foundation for DVB tasks.

Or why do you think there are no Hardware DVB Players with Windows as Core.

as NikosD said there are corner cases and for DVB resilient playback i would never Personal use any Windows Device for anymore, even normal reliable/fast Video Playback is a adventure

Try Linux + VDPAU
Why would Windows not be reliable for DVB? The BDA framework is a tried and tested solution, and since the introduction of EVR and MMCSS media playback has been very reliable.
Any problems with DVB playback come from the graphics card drivers.

There are no Windows based hardware DVB players because manufacturers want to avoid paying a license fee and also Linux can be slimmed down much further than Windows for really specific tasks, but it hasn't anything to do with how good the technical base is.

I am running a HTPC for DVB-C (HD H.264) under Windows 10 myself and I can't see how Linux would be better for me.
And talking about dedicated hardware boxes, when I hear friends describe the experience they have with their provider's official hardware (lag, lack of GUI smoothness, lack of flexibility/removing of features, crashes, total corruption needing a factory reset, etc.), I'm quite happy with my Windows setup

(and LAV Filters are a big part of why I'm happy with it, btw, thanks for everything Nevcairiel! )