View Single Post
Old 1st November 2008, 07:58   #59  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

Imo it should be noted that bpp sensitivity is directly related to transform size, big transform = more possible data removal, small transform = limited data removal, and large transforms don't work well for a variety of reasons, this includes wavelets, curvelets, magiclets or any other buzzwordlet transform. Or, put another way, extremely low bpp (extremely low being defined as a case where the compression standard being used does not in anyway utilize a large percentage of the available resolution) is retarded, you should always use a realistic resolution for your bitrate budget, a qcif blurry mess is just as good as a wuxga blury mess, assuming very low and equivelent datarates (better if you account for superior performance of standalone interpolation to wavelet subband interpolation.

@ds
1 what is so horrible about jpeg2k
2 give me an example of a significantly better wavelet image coder from the same time frame.

I'm not saying j2k isn't pretty useless, but I happen to think this is largely because wavelets are over rated.

(hooray parenthesis)