View Single Post
Old 24th December 2002, 20:24   #43  |  Link
baddbill

Hi guys, I'm a somewhat newbie so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've made about 40 or 50 encodes with Gordian Knot and divx5 and just made my first two encodes with AutoRV9. All I can say is wow! The AutoRV9 encodes in my opinion are far superior to anything I have been able to get with divx. The colors are closer to the original, the lighting is more natural and the detail is higher.

My first two encodes with AutoRV9 were The Waterboy and Can't Hardly Wait. I encoded both movies so each would fit on a 900 meg CD. This turned out to be 1280 bits for Can't Hardly Wait and 1500 bits for The Waterboy. I chose these two movies because they are at opposite extremes for compressability.

Can't Hardly Wait compresses very easily so it is easy to get a good encode of it with divx. The divx encode was with pro features of B frames and Psy. enhancements to normal. This resulted in a 76% comp test result at 576x320 with a sharp resize filter. I encoded the AutoRV9 copy at the same resolution. The divx encode looked good but suffered from the regular divx drawbacks. Edges where fuzzy and there was a general lack of detail. The RV9 encode looks wonderful. In almost every scene there is more detail in faces, clothes and background. The lighting is closer to the original and the colors are what they should be. When comparing the two encodes next to eachother I noticed that the divx encode had a greenish tint to it that wasn't in the original. Because the divx encode was of such high quality the comparison was close but the RV9 encode was clearly better.

The Waterboy is very difficult to compress and therefor it was very difficult for me to get a good encode of it with divx. I tried different resolutions with different resize filters and finally decided on a comp test of 67% at 512x272 with a neutral resize filter. The results were OK but not great. The RV9 encode at the same resolution was far superior. Once again colors where closer to the original without a greenish tint to them. Lighting was more natural and detail was obviously superior. There is one scene in the movie where The Waterboy walks into his mother house. It is a very difficult scene because of the detail in the livingroom. With divx this scene looked horrible. With RV9 this scene looks very nice, not perfect, but far superior to divx.

I hope this helps people. In my opinion RV9 is the way to go.

Bill
baddbill is offline   Reply With Quote