View Single Post
Old 4th January 2002, 16:59   #17  |  Link
serbersan

Well I have finished my temporalsmoohter(1) rip, now I'm waiting for the 608xXXX and 576xXXX rip. BTW I have redone the compresibility check at 7% and it's 60% with 640x... without filter and with temporalsmoother(2,1) it's 69% (I'm surprised because the first minutes of the movie are very noise, in compresibility check it arrives to 500K) and the correct duration is 1:52

I've done some proves with constant quality 100% with temporalSmoother(1) and lowering the resolution and...

Being objective...yes, the image is more sharpness with 576x240 than with 640x256 with TempSmoother(1). But it hasn't better overall quality.

The image loss sharpness at noisy parts, like human skin (faces) and specially when those noisy parts are moving, faces of human skin moving, again. But the overall quality isn't better lowering resolution. And the differences are very subtle I'm very near of my 17" monitor.

However images without persons are really good.

More information on aprox. 1000 frames(I have more results but are about the same):

CQ 100% 15Mb 640x256
CQ 100% 12.6Mb 576x240
CQ 100% 11.7Mb 640x256 TS(1)

I'm waiting the encoder finish the job, but I think in those cases there isn't enough space and lowering the resolution to 576 isn't enough. I've seen some scenes of the rip ts(1) and there is a smooth effect in a wall but it's like the encoder hasn't enough bits to do it well and not like a temp smoother effect.

IMHO I think below 70% at 640x256 2 CD rips you could use tempsmoother(2,1) and the overall quality should be better(not faces but overall quality and faces weren't so bad). Or at least it's not as easy as lowering resolution.

Well like I said I'm waiting the results of the 2º and 3º rip before obtain a conclusion but, I think lowering resolution is good when 2CD were good enough not like this case when Ts(1) has less size than 576.

What are your opinions?
serbersan is offline   Reply With Quote