View Single Post
Old 13th January 2007, 07:05   #679  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post
Okay, congrats to those who have won round one and yes--the keys are on the disk, but they are encrypted keys on the disk. We still need an (unrevoked) player to decrypt new keys for us or even play old encrypted disks. If your player is revoked, it's end of round one; you won't even be able to play old titles! Here's why: Take a look at Fig. 4-1 of AACS_Spec_Common_0.91.pdf. It appears that the drive holds a Host Revocation List and the host holds a Drive Revocation List. Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems that the first time you place a disk that contains any given player in its revocation list into the drive, that player will forever more no longer function with that drive--even after a fresh reinstall of the player software. Drive firmware hacks may soon be useful.
I was under the impression from the quick glance I had the chance to grab that the volume unique keys would work with any player
once we've gotten them we have them and no longer need the player Key

as for the drive, I'm sure there will be a flash dump made so you just reflash it after every 'update' to the revoke list
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote