View Single Post
Old 24th June 2012, 17:18   #11  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Yeah. Even Iterated Systems, who started the whole "fractal codec" nonsense many years ago, and actually launched a product with ClearVideo, gave up and used DCT for their first real video codec. The only thing of real market interest they came up with was "fractal" based scaling, which let you scale up in the frequency domain (in essence) instead of by pixels, which reduced blocking.

I spent waaay to much time working with Iterated's technologies ~12 years ago...
Though the way ClearVideo looks is interesting i mean the look and feel though it's not really surprising if you used to MPEG block based codecs or even wavelet and for the first time see these fractals building up a picture (especially when that whole thing is happening in motion), everyone should have seen that once it is something unique visually

And yeah they later became successful with Genuine Fractals for Image Scaling
One of those iterated Marketing guys does Digital Video Solution Reviews these days for Streaming Media and he evaluated Mainconcept H.264 vs x264 that's quiet funny http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articl...ial-80112.aspx

Quote:
We reported in January that fractal image compression was gaining new respect in the industry. Confirmation of this comes from Microsoft Multimedia Publishing Group’s director of product development, Greg Riker, and Iterated Systems’ co-president, Michael Barnsley. They have announced that “at least one” forthcoming Microsoft multimedia title will utilize Iterated Systems’ fractal still-image compression technology, under a non-exclusive licensing agreement.

Riker says that for its multimedia titles, Microsoft looked for a methodology that can perform image decompression in software only, yet can display the pictures quickly. Also required were high compression ratios, enabling more images to be packed onto a compact disc, and good image quality. Jan Ozer, Iterated’s vice president of marketing and sales, indicated that the fractal approach not only met these criteria but bested the competing solutions, including JPEG products, on each count.
You can really wonder why Microsoft preferred it back then overall i guess what they talk about is Encarta (not sure)
i mean could they really foll Microsoft with one of the biggest Research entities in the World to use their Product quiet amazing to think about it

Though i remember nothing else did Microsoft with Hollywood before FRExt was ready selling their VC-1 to Hollywood executives as the sharpest thing in Town bringing Film Grain to life, though Microsofts PSY work imho is still amazing also if it gets unnoticed most of the times in all the blocks

Ben i still use your Vegas.wmv encode very often btw

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th June 2012 at 18:29.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote