View Single Post
Old 6th June 2011, 23:03   #8015  |  Link
janos666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker1000 View Post
can i play just the m2ts with MadVR and MPC-HC?
Yes, it's the simplest way if the whole movie is contained by a single m2ts file. But some DBs split the movie into many m2ts files to offer you different versions (Theatrical Cut, Director's cut, Unrated, Extended, etc) on the same disk. In this case you need to open the correct playlist file (from the playlist folder).

I don't know if there is a more objective way for that but I usually open the one with the longest runtime.

----

@n3w813

And what is the correct choice if your display device has limited and full range settings too but the physical precision of the display is unknown or known as significantly lower than 8-bit without internal dithering (like every PDP and many LCDs).
I guess it's the full range but simply because it contains more data. Otherwise, it could be the limited if your display handles the full range input but it compresses it back to limited range during the internal processing (which is hard to tell if it happens with high precision because you probably need to count the gray shades manually on a gradient ). I think 10-bit output would make this dilemma much less significant.

An example: 8-bit gradient test videos look smooth without dithering and limited range output, full range output looks horrible without dithering but it's smooth with dithering. However, you can't always trust in dithering.
A special case when your display applies "undefeatable" noise reduction algorithms which can partially filter out the dithering noise too (some and not only a few HDTVs). And another example (which could be combined with the previous one) when the display already works with heavy dithering (every PDPs, but some of them is really noisy and use an awfully simple noise patter. -> even the expensive models, like some Panasonic PDPs -> that's why I prefer the Samsung PDPs with much finer dithering noise which really works for my eyes, not like the Panasonic joke but some people would probably argue with me about this, and this is not that topic...).

----

@madshi

Did you think about the possibility to somehow output YCC 4:2:2 for HDTVs? JanWillem says he has some ideas to make it possible, so I think it's theoretically possible...
(Did you even read my arguments why would it be "essential" for many HDTV owners (probably many HTPC users) even if they doesn't really know/care(yet) about it?)

Last edited by janos666; 6th June 2011 at 23:27.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote