View Single Post
Old 6th June 2011, 22:03   #8006  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Most decoders do only a very cheap RGB conversion for compat with renderers that don't accept YUV format anyway, and do not let you configure any of the properties required for proper conversion, so i don't accept that point.

If that format would be supported by ffdshow, the MPC-HC decoders and mine, there would already be pretty good coverage.

PS:
This is not a hack, its actually a proper solution.
I was refering to the fact that decoders telling the renderers all info about the source so they can do proper, non-guessed YCbCr->RGB conversions would be fantastic, but there's no way of doing that right now without custom hacky stuff, and it'd only be supported by open source decoders and a closed source renderer. No future there I'm afraid.

Yes, it's a proper solution, but since it's unsupported by the DS ecosystem I consider it a hack. Keep in mind that joe average uses WMP and the like, and W7 already comes with decoders for all the important formats, no need for MPC-HC/ffdshow/LAV in there unfortunately. Getting this widely used would be extremely difficult.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote