View Single Post
Old 31st August 2013, 23:11   #19997  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

a Q9450 in an equally old system but mVR does pretty much everything on the GPU and the LAV decoder uses CUVID for H264/VC1 & MPEG2 decoding so no need for a high-end CPU. I barely see 10-15% CPU loads while watching movies.

The more you wait, the cheaper the 660 will get as the 760 is making is obsolete and resellers can't afford to lose money on their outstanding stock....all this said, Asus boards are always the most silent in every review. They're not the coolest though as the heatsink is DirectCU but its fins are aluminium and the fans don't rotate very fast so this might be a problem in a small HTPC where you would prefer a ref board with a turbine fan that instantly exhausts the hot air out of the box. OTOH that'll be noisier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
Well I think my Vsync issues on XP are a problem related to the Nvidia drivers. Even with latest WHQL drivers, the refresh rate reported by madVR is all over the place, sometimes falling to 57Hz on a 60Hz screen and sometimes jumping into 62 range, and frame drops occur everywhere. I just tested madVR on another machine with Intel HD4000 Ivy Bridge graphics, exact same software setup as my PC and it works flawless, no Vsync issues and I just watched a film with 0 frame drops on it. I guess Nvidia messed something up on XP and 600 series drivers. Interesting fact is that all games, for example have perfect Vsync applied.
Yep, thanks again for the warning......I should have taken it more seriously. The only game I play is Q3 and it works just fine on the 660.

Last edited by leeperry; 1st September 2013 at 01:20.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote