View Single Post
Old 25th September 2004, 00:51   #37  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Sounds logical in theory but I think there might still be some hidden complications abound.
mmm, I'm puzzled. Don't you think it's true that the state of the DVD player is completely represented by where you are in the PGC, and the set of registers? In other words, if I put a DVD in a player, follow a few menus make a few button clicks and find myself say, at the main menu, I would imagine that the state of the virtual engine at this point is completely represented by the set of registers, and the currently playing PGC. What else could there be?
If that's the case, then in theory you could make it so the first play PGC sets the registers as above, and jumps to the same PGC you were at (main menu), and you should find yourself in exactly the same situation as above.

I'll experiment with that idea tonight (using Mark's tray DVD player, which lets you see the registers in real time) and post my results. If that was true, then you could completely customize your backed-up DVD to start exactly the way you like it (say, with spanish subtitles, widescreen, 5.1 audio etc etc etc), in just one shot. That would be rather cool!
Quote:
Also, the user would have to put some effort to study up on commands to understand the big picture better.
Well, what if you could dump all the registers when you're where you'd like to go automatically (main title?) and a PgcEdit macro that would put the appropriate set commands in the first-play PGC and jump to the right place? The user wouldn't have to know anything about commands right? The hitch might be to jump to the desired place without modifying the registers previously set (the precommands of where you're jumping might screw things up, I realize).

Jean

Last edited by jeanl; 25th September 2004 at 00:59.
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote