View Single Post
Old 21st June 2003, 13:42   #37  |  Link
DaWolf
RV9 Fan

Machine: Celereon 1.7 GHz, 384 MB RAM, Windows XP Pro

Player: Windows Media Player 6.4
Startup: 3.764
SVCD: 15.596 (* 6.104 after minimizing/restoring)
CPU: 26-35%

Player: Windows Media Player 9
Startup: 3.300
SVCD: 12.472
CPU: 26-33 %

Player: RealOne V2 (player only!)
Startup: 4.228
SVCD: 9.968
CPU: 25-35%

Player: WinDVD 3.0
Startup: 14.908
SVCD: 13.232 (* 7.076 after minimizing/restoring)
CPU: 33-47%

(*) you can reduce the memory load by minimizing and then restoring the player.

And of course there's a bunch of others to try.

On at least my system RealOne is not the resource hog it's made out to be. With 384 MB RAM to go around, on system startup usually 127 MB distributed among "stuff" I have enough here to not worry about 2 MB more or less. On my first Pentium-100 with 32KB RAM it would have mattered to me - not now.

WMP 6.4 and WinDVD actually seem to consume more RAM on my system unless I would minimize/restore them. I'm sure not many of us are in the habbit of doing so before watching a movie!

If I were aggresively opposed to the player I would simply not use it. But I have 90 GB of HD space in my system so I would just install it for the codecs and forget about it. Again, on my first Pentium-100 with 1 GB HD (ouch) it would have mattered, now it doesn't.

OK, I have to admit I'm a sucker for new "toys" although I do trash them if they don't live up to everyday demands. RealOne was a nice toy. During the Gulf War II I often would have the news in the player on top while browsing in the attached browser (@ Karl: now that thing produces way too much script errors...). I grew to like it and have *gasp* purchased the plus version. I use it daily and love it. I use the media library as well, having a quick overview of what goodies I have on my HD's. As a devoted Musicmatch Jukebox user it means a lot to me that it drew me away from that player (although I still use it to super-tag a bunch of MP3's).

Signing in for a player? I never notice it. I have a DSL connection and when I start the player, bang, there it is. The sign in feature is of course much more fun if you would have one of the premium content subscriptions. I had the 30 day free trial and it's damned handy to be at another computer at another location, sign in to a RealOne player and the player goes into Plus mode and you can reach your subscription content. (Of course I dropped out after the trial: premium content shouldn't just mean that you pay for it - it should mean it's good content that's worth 10 expensive US dollars a month!).

There are only a few programs that make it through an....uh... "extended" trial period. RealOne is one of the programs that got my vote by receiving my money. It joined ranks with WinRAR, Newsbin, Forte Agent and some other stuff.

I'm looking forward to V3 :-)

Ruud