View Single Post
Old 6th October 2011, 21:01   #9998  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Hi madshi,
I sometimes experience a madVR bug that completely freezes ZP. I can't replicate it with the other renderers (VMR9/EVR).
It happens after a frequency switch while media playback is starting, using madVR's internal frequency switcher. (tried madVR switching, manual switching, ReClock switching, makes no difference..).

Using ZP8 prefinal 23 + latest madVR (v0.74), default settings.
XP SP3/ nVidia 285.38

What happens is: I open media, madVR detects framerate and changes frequency accordingly (from 720p60 to 720p24 with this test media). Now under 720p24, sometimes interacting with ZP's control bar (seeking media) will completely freeze the app.
Right before this happens, the ZP control bar (fullscreen) is drawn slowly onto the screen, it lags a lot.
It happens with any video stream/decoder. My test video is a simple XVID .avi file and I could reproduce the issue with ffdshow, LAV Video or even standalone Xvid decoder.

It seems to happen only when ZP's option "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API" is disabled.

How to reproduce:

1. In ZP settings, at "Playback" > "Video", disable "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API"
(Note: the "Video covers entire display area" option and madVR's FSE feature have NO impact on this bug, it happens regardless if FSE is totally disabled in madVR or not.)

2. Start playing a video, exemple: an XVID .avi file (decoded by ffdshow or LAV.. same results)

3. While the movie is playing, switch the frequency of the display. (exemple 720p60 to 720p50 or 24)

4. Now in ZP, go fullscreen and bring the control bar.

5. More often than not at this point the issue can be seen: the control bar is drawn slowly onto the screen, you can see its skin elements being drawn one by one.
If you scroll the control bar at this point, for say 20 seconds, it will completely freeze ZP.
Killing the ZP process manually is needed.

If after going fullscreen the control bar is OK for you, please switch the frequency a couple times more [while movie is playing] to try and reproduce the issue, for exemple go back to 720p60 and then again to 720p50 or 24), then go in fullscreen and bring the control bar again to see.

It happens not _always_, but often enough to be really annoying. XD

A few things that I found while testing:
-It only happens with madVR, couldn't fault the other renderers.
-It seems to only happen when ZP's "Display OSD through madVR's OSD API" disabled.
-It happens regardless of video decoder.
-It happens regardless if ZP "resumes media playback from last point" or not.
-When the control bar/ZP is in this weird slow state, if I just close and restart media playback (not ZP !) or open another media, the bug disappears (no more laggy ZP/freeze due).
-It happens regardless if the frequency is switched manually (via shortcuts, nv control panel), or automatically (Reclock or madVR's internal frequency switcher).
-I tried down to madVR build 050, the issue is present too.

Sorry for the length, it's one of those annoying ones to reproduce

I enclose a madVR DEBUG log.
For this log, I just open ZP, bring it fullscreen and start media playback. After madVR switches the frequency, I bring the ZP control bar and scroll for 3 few seconds. ZP freezes completely. The log stops after I killed ZP process manually. Total time around 8 seconds.

I hope you can look into it and hopefully it won't be hard to track down!
Later,

TSR

Edit: alternative link for the log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip madVR_freeze_ZP - log.zip (183.0 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 10th October 2011 at 23:30.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote