View Single Post
Old 16th October 2003, 03:54   #22  |  Link
bartman123

A logic based system may work if the user ripped the whole DVD but left stuff out. It wouldn't work if someone were to re-author the DVD or to shrink the DVD including all the extras + audio.

With the recent announcement about dual layer recordable media I forsee a future where someone wanting a copy of a movie would simply rip an image and burn it.....programs like DVD2One and DVD Shrink would become historical curiosities.

The DVD industry I think will resign to the fact that IP security on DVD Video titles is very weak and there isn't much that can be done about it. The consequences are that DVD's will either ship with 'Value added' features to entice people to make a legitimate purchase or an attempt will be made to cripple the disc in some fashion......hopfully the former will prevail.

Blueray, while an exciting technology, has come too quickly to be the next media format. Most people I know are only just getting into the DVD scene and I feel that many will be reluctant to turf their DVD player just to have the next format. However, when Blueray players are intorduced, there will be a lot of thought put into methods of securing the data contained on the disc.....however as the saying goes "If I can see it, I can copy it". I'll give the format a month or two before the security is cracked somehow
bartman123 is offline   Reply With Quote