View Single Post
Old 16th June 2013, 04:12   #40  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Where are people getting the crazy idea that a big SetMemoryMax is ever a good idea.

I have searched the forum numerous times looking for any fud and misinformational posts and I do not find any, all I find are the occasional post advising to turn it down. and lots of posts with people using insanely high values and having problems.

SetMemoryMax just sets the size of the Avisynth frame cache!

It does not control any other memory usage!

The frame cache only needs to be just large enough to hold the temporal requirements of the script. If a script has no temporal requirements, i.e. a frame that is required more than once in some part of the script then the cache is completely useless and may prevent some other memory usage from being able to malloc the memory that it needs to work.

A 1920x1080 YV12 video frame is ~3meg, as RGB32 it is 8meg, you can hold 64 such frames in 512meg. YV12 720x480 frames are only 0.5meg you can hold 1024 in 512 meg.

It takes some resources to manage the frame cache so doing a SetMemoryMax(2048) for a SD video and having 4000 odd buffers in play is just stupid and will actually slow the script processing down a little bit.

Advise :- SetMemoryMax, Turn it down!
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote