View Single Post
Old 9th December 2017, 23:44   #1296  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'm amused how the "experts" of this Doom9 thread just won't let this go. It's a thread about KNLmeansCL. I've stripped it down to base settings, am getting 10fps now, and have moved. I suggest you do the same.
No dude, you don't get to pretend to be the bigger man here and move on while rolling your eyes at these silly "experts" with their "science". You went spouting off nonsense in an authoritative tone and now you're trying to weasel out of being dumb on the internet. I won't stand for it.

I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm not trying to sell you a GPU, I'm not trying to convince you to use KNLMeans, I'm not even trying to dispute your apartment temperature numbers. I only want you to understand why nothing you're saying makes any sense. I will not accept you claiming that you'd prefer to believe in literal magic because you don't understand basic physics. I also really doubt you've made the ambient temperature experiment under controlled conditions, so I really don't think you're getting much mileage out of "thinking for yourself".

Quote:
As I said, TDP has a very obvious correlation to actual heat output. TDP isn't a measure of it, but it must be closely related. Accumulated TDP can be a good guide to how hot your computer will be, specifically monitoring an increase in ambient temperature in the room.
See, you're so close and yet you are a galaxy away. The TDP number is a quite good measure of the actual heat output! AT MAX LOAD, that is. Back in the bad old days with Pentium 4's and such things, it actually kinda did tell you something about idle power consumption (and therefore heat output - as I have previously shown, they are effectively the same) as well, because processors in those days were really bad at clocking down and if you were lucky they could cut their power consumption in half while idling, maybe. Today this is no longer the case and everything clocks down to use like 10-15 watts at idle. A high TDP processor has the potential to put out more heat, but at idle there's no difference - see my screenshots above that are showing the same power consumption (and therefore heat output) of two different chips where one has more than twice the TDP of the other.

You can plug in a watt meter into the wall socket and then plug the computer into that if you're actually curious about this. They're like 25 bucks on Amazon. You will then notice that your power consumption at idle is a lot more than just the CPU's idling power consumption (because there's other stuff using power in the computer as well, and the PSU is only about 80-90% efficient at converting wall socket AC to low voltage DC), but also that if you actually put your computer under load, power consumption will immediately increase significantly, and there's the difference between idle power and TDP. In practice you can see the computer as an electrical space heater; effectively all of the electrical energy it is using gets turned into thermal energy.

I think you're suffering from the misconception that the temperature of the components is interesting for some reason. It's not. It is true that a higher temperature difference between a hot thing and the ambient air increases the rate at which energy is transferred from one to the other, but in this case we're talking about a steady state situation: we're inputting a constant amount of energy per second into the chip, and it's transferring exactly that much energy into the surrounding air per second. If it was transferring less energy out than it was receiving, it would become hotter, because it would be storing more energy.

Quote:
- If you can explain this, great! I'm all ears.
- If not, STFU.
Of course I can't explain the conditions in your apartment with your computer without any details about it. For all I know you might have turned off the CPU power saving features in the BIOS and are always running at full power consumption.

Last edited by TheFluff; 9th December 2017 at 23:46.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote