View Single Post
Old 28th March 2018, 03:04   #49891  |  Link
brazen1

@Manni

Your recent post re: DCIP3 vs BT.2020 has confused me. I understand you are relaying what works for you on your JVC 12bit but I'm seeing a problem on my Samsung 10bit and not sure if what you say applies to me as well? According to your info, if I use BT.2020 for HDR10, it should be best because I'm inside the spectrum and not on the cusp of the smaller spectrum - DCIP3. Or does this not apply because I'm peaked at 10bit and still within the smaller spectrum?

My HDR titles look the same no matter if I use BT.2020, DCIP3, BT.709, or disable calibration controls. Forget that I'm dialed back to 8bit output because of the banding issue. I reset to 12bit to test. Shouldn't I be seeing a big difference in color when I toggle these using HDR 10bit titles? Fwiw, it is in HDR mode and it looks very good using any of those. Just no difference between any of them. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm passing HDR through and I'm sending metadata to the display but if memory serves me right, so are you? I couldn't find the post where you clarified that so excuse me if I'm making a wrong assumption.

If I select BT.2020, HDR looks fine but SDR looks under saturated. SDR 8 or 10bit only looks good if I select DCIP3 or BT.709. So, I could use BT.709 and satisfy SDR and HDR, but I think the spectrum is smaller using BT.709 even though in my case it shouldn't matter due to I can't see a difference playing HDR. So, I use DCIP3 and satisfy SDR and HDR this way. Would it be better to profile SDR with DCIP3 or BT.709 and create another profile for HDR and set it to BT.2020 or one the others?

I'm concerned that my HDR titles don't respond to any of those settings and I'm confused how best to satisfy SDR and HDR? I'm hoping you and/or others might chime in and advise me. If you guys were me, how would you select the relevant settings?
I setup custom modes today with the new driver at 8bit and not 12 because of the banding (until 10bit is released if they ever step up and actually do it) and forced to drop it down if that matters. But I did test in 12bit.

Last edited by brazen1; 28th March 2018 at 03:22.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote