View Single Post
Old 19th March 2019, 16:46   #55416  |  Link
svengun

Maybe it is different for me as my LG OLED is from 2016, but I use Home Theater mode for windows & UHD player. If I put him on PC mode everything looks overly white

I have no problems with HT mode , HDR , MadVR, everything works fine and looks great

Of course Game Mode for Xbox / PS4....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
I would say that everything j82k has noted about the LGs has been correct, as I've measured/noticed most of these issues. Unfortunately there is no catch all solution to these problems. PC mode is required for any type of gaming in SDR, general Windows usage, and since the graphics cards operate in RGB 4:4:4 internally (thus madVR), there is reason to use RGB 4:4:4. Movies are not exempt here either if using an HTPC. Game mode in SDR is not worth testing as it provides no calibration options for white point or color, is forced into a wide color space, and do not support 4:4:4. While I can always see the slight banding in SDR on patterns, I rarely if ever see it in games or movies that isn't there in the source. HDMI mode smooths over the gradients, but doesn't really always get rid of the banding either. But then you also get losses from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2. HDMI mode aside from Game also has very bad input lag which can cause audio delays.

The one thing I haven't tested is 12-bit vs 8-bit in HDMI mode for HDR as I'm really hesitant to dither the 10-bit source, but I can't say I have noticed any banding in 12-bit while watching HDR movies. HDR Game Mode is required for HDR games and is very close to Cinema/Technicolor tone mapping without the input lag.