View Single Post
Old 24th September 2011, 23:15   #9854  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
Got a question regarding the levels setting....

I have a HTPC running a Nvidia video card connected to a Sony LCD via HDMI. My media are mostly blu-ray rips. Right now these are my settings on the vid card, madvr, and Sony TV.....

Nvidia - 0-255 desktop output with custom resolution hack
MadVR - levels set to '16-235'
Sony TV - HDMI setting set to 'Limited'

My question is, should I set my TV to 'Full Range' and MadVR to '0-255' instead? What settings do I need to set to avoid any kind of levels compression or expansion in the whole video chain?

Thanks!
I was in your exact shoes not long ago. I did some research and this is what I found:

With HDMI from the Nvidia card it's sending out 16-235 even if you set it to 0-255 in the desktop. Do this:

Code:
For those of you that didn't know, for whoever has a HDTV connected with nvidia drivers,
and the entire desktop is being output in 16-235 instead of full range, the best workaround is to
add this to the nv_disp.inf before installing the drivers. Makes the drivers assume your using a fullrange TV
instead of limited range. I need to use this each time I do a clean install of nvidias drivers.

Add

HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

to each section of your inf that begins with

[nv_miscBase_addreg_

eg

[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
 HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1
Then you can set your TV to full range, as well as madvr.