View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:58   #1251  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKane View Post
I've used Matroska to store my TV captures mainly because your GUI is so easy to use and has worked very well. Big thanks for providing it.

However I hope that you could revise your stance about demuxing because I would feel much more safer if I could later get streams out for possible re-encoding.
Like sneaker_ger said, there are possibilities. And the fact that you can watch the files means that there are even more ways to demux stuff, just not with mkvextract.

One problem and the foremost reason why I won't implement this in mkvextract itself is that files without a default duration most often do not have a fixed frame rate. Such video tracks cannot be put into AVI files without them getting all wrong regarding A/V sync. A possiblity would be to "extract" them into MP4 files instead because MP4 files don't need a fixed frame rate. That however would require tons of work because mkvextract doesn't have a MP4 muxer built in, and even though there are libraries that make this easier this is waaaaaaaaaaay more work than I'm willing to spend on such a feature.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.