View Single Post
Old 14th August 2018, 08:13   #17  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
As far as I remember the time table was quite a bit different. It was the DivX company (before they were bought by Sonic Solutions which was later bought by Rovi which was the successor to Macrovision) which made the clever move to offer a free license to the chip manufacturers for the hardware DVD players. The chip makers jumped on it because it did not cost them any money and they could slap a DivX label on the front of the players.
I read wiki myself, indeed DivXNetworks licensed the codec first, before being swallowed by the big guys.

Anyway, the point I made remains - the DivX codec on hardware players first appeared when a company, a real company, took the initiative and provided a fixed set of rules. Anyone could build on these rules (standards). The user had to encode his movies based on the same set of rules, then the product was playbale on all hardware bearing the same logo, certifying that it observes the same set of rules. In the free software world there is chaos, each programmer works on his own branch, on his own interpretation, optimisation, requirement. Anyone that has coordinated at least once a project in the "real life" and had his neck in, would know this.