View Single Post
Old 6th September 2015, 18:48   #17  |  Link
mandarinka

Tile-based threading should be very very simple to implement. My impression that they just don't care about this much comes also from the fact that it took them years since VP9 "launch" to add even this crude method. BTW VP9 actually requires this tiling for resolutions like 4K, so that decoders for them can be simpler. Yet they only made their encoder actually run the tiles independently on separate cores now (AFAIK). Idunno but to me it looks sloppy.

Basically, if I was a manager there, I would have assigned them the task as one of the first things once the encoder got out of alpha or beta stage. If I ever cared about anything else besides Youtube usage. So my conclusion is that either they really don't care or that the team developping the encoder is disorganised - as if it was running like a volunteer open source project community, where people only write code they for some reason feel like to, but when nobody feels like doing some task due to difficulty, hard debugging, or other headache hazzards, it never ever gets done.

Last edited by mandarinka; 6th September 2015 at 18:56.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote