View Single Post
Old 4th September 2015, 05:39   #11  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The problem is that marketing is pushing them to deliver 4K, and streaming 4K with H.264 is just going to be inefficient at best - not to mention lack of wide 10-bit support, which is mandatory for proper BT.2020 transmission.
The 4k push is already derailed due to the forming of a second HEVC patent pool with demands the content distributors will never accept.

As for how much pent up viewer demand there really is for 4k, it's hard to tell as the whole 4k push is a marketing campaign to sell the HEVC codec and new hardware capable of viewing it.

Let's just say I doubt a 4k delay will make a dent in Netflix and Amazon viewership, including lack of 10-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
For VP9 libvpx doesn't even have decent threading (tiles, WTF? only one thread possible for each whole 512 pixels of width?
I'd always assumed that the tiling was chosen due to avoiding infringing software patents, if that is the case it can only be solved by aquiring the necessary patents or being able to work around them somehow.

I know Cisco and Microsoft came with a bunch of patents pertaining to h264, hopefully those will have an impact on encoding performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDO2015 View Post
I wonder where Apple is in all of this?
One of the mozilla devs mentioned on Hacker News that they were in talks with Apple regarding this:

-"We are absolutely talking with Apple, and hope they will decide to join.",

make of that what you will.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote