View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:51   #8  |  Link
mandarinka

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I would be conservative with the expectations.

This is surely going to be a good for royalty-less video, but it might not push boundaries of compression efficiency as such, at all. So it depends if you are mainly concerned about the former, or are more generally interested in video coding technology being moved forward.

Sure, Daala and all these projects will claim that they aim to get ahead of HEVC... but look at history of VP codecs or just any competitor to MPEG technology. There was always a lot of ambition and/or hype, but was there ever a case when things were delivered? Maybe WMV9 was kinda competitive with mpeg4 asp at some points, not much else comes to mind.
I am afraid that NetVC is far from guaranteed to beat HEVC, which seems to be what +-everybody is assuming and cheering for. And on top of that, it will only come to market in few years from now, and add to that the years that will be needed for polished encoders to appear.

I used to watch Daala development a lot (and still am), but to be blunt I think that it is HEVC that is going to be the relevant force moving video coding in next 3-4+ years. From technical point of view (ignoring royalties and ideological stuff), that's what is going to bring us good stuff.

I don't want to bash the efforts or FUD against them, but I think it is better to be conservative with our expectations.

Last edited by mandarinka; 2nd September 2015 at 22:55.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote