View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:38   #4  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
if Netflix and Amazon switch in the short term then HEVC could take a beating and a tipping point could be reached before the new codec even arrives.
Yes, a royalty free next gen codec with wide industry and platform support must be a wet dream come true for Amazon and Netflix, so I can only assume they will add support as soon as it's practical, as part of a longer term full transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Though of course just the threat of that might be enough for HEVC licencing to be fixed, just like they clarified a few things regarding H.264 when VP8 arrived.
I'm sure there will be some sort of response shortly, though I don't think there's any hope of them stopping this 'Alliance' effort, Google was evidently already set on making royalty free codecs, Mozilla was funding Daala and Cisco released their own codec, meanwhile Amazon and Netflix obviously want a wide platform standard around a royalty free codec, actually it's only Microsoft which I find a bit surprising in this context.

I can only assume that this alliance was formed upon binding agreements between the members in terms of commitment, particularly given the current HEVC licensing debacle.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote