Thread: DG NV tools
View Single Post
Old 20th August 2009, 13:10   #202  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Regarding my CUVIDServer note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Please note the error next time. Also, tell me what app you used for the first encoding.
Here is my exact sequence:

1. Use a DGTool to index a video, launch CUVIDServer, look at video with avs/Vdub 1.9.0, then run 2-pass x264 encoding using same simple avs e.g.

#For h264
DGSource("video.dga")

#For MPEG2
#DGSource("video.dgm")

#For VC-1
#DGSource("video.dgv")

2. Hours later, after x264 completed, launch DGAVCIndexNV and make a test.dga from x264 output. Note CUVIDServer is still active/in system tray.

3. Using test.avs (just DGSource("test.dga")) Open With...Vdub, get this pop-up dialog:

Server
cuvidMapVideoFrame() error.
[OK]

I can click OK on this dialog, but Vdub is "Not responding" and must be closed by End Process, and CUVIDServer is still running but can't be exited by normal means, must also End Process and re-launch it to get it to work.

Note that I did try this same sequence on a short test clip, and it worked fine--it did NOT throw the error. Then I tried another full-length video (six hours or so to complete x264) and got the error again. Further, between 1. and 2. above, the PC has automatically gone into "Standby" mode; maybe that is the issue i.e. for my next encoding I will disable this "auto Standby" behavior and see if I get the same CUVIDServer hangup again (maybe it does not wake-up from Standby properly?).

EDIT: Well, duh, only after writing-down the sequence above had the "Standby" thing occurred to me. And now that my morning coffee's starting to affect me did I think to simply go to Standby and out again. Sure enough: launch CUVIDServer and open a vid with avs/dgx/vdub. Fine. Go to Standby, come out of Standby (CUVIDServer still running). Try again--Error. This time:

Server
Failed to create video decoder (100)
[OK]

Frozen as before i.e. must End Process and re-launch to recover.

So the problem is Standby related I believe and maybe (another) Windows XP Pro x64 anomaly, assuming you or others can't dupe this problem.

Last edited by laserfan; 20th August 2009 at 13:28. Reason: Revelation
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote