View Single Post
Old 28th February 2015, 00:03   #222  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have tried to say that I'm not sure that your hardware and software (VM under iMac) can be used with the hardware acceleration. To use it, you must install the Intel drivers, that work certainly on a very low level, and can probably not be installed under your emulated Windows. Most emulators do not have direct access to the hardware, and depend of generic drivers that may not support the hardware acceleration. If the MVC decoder tries to use the hardware in that circumstances, it may fail, or work fine, but don't expect miracles. I don't know how the VM works on your Mac, and I can't tell if the bootcamp mode can be beneficial to the Intel decoder, but of course you can try.

It is more bizarre to have bad results without the hardware acceleration. Anyway, try v0.60 with the new decoders in software mode. It should work. At least, I hope so!

The time taken by the encoding is usually slow anyway. The decoding of the AVC and MVC streams only is made by the Intel software lib or by the hardware if you have the right CPU. For that part, using the hardware (when it works!) is of course a big benefit, but the major part of the time spent during the encoding is taken by the x264's encoding process. That part cannot be accelerated. On my machine, without hardware acceleration, I use the preset "veryslow" and processing a whole movie takes normally between 8 and 12 hours, depending of the duration of the movie and the complexity of the images. Hardcoding the subtitles can also slow down considerably the whole process. (The speed does not depends of the size of the ISO, or only a very little bit.) So, IMO, 3-4 hours is very fast. Unless you use a fast preset, it's a very good result. You should not really expect better results without a dedicated PCs running Windows and with a very efficient CPU with hardware acceleration.