View Single Post
Old 19th June 2010, 13:10   #10173  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post
Is the patch specifically only for HD-DVD? Because the chapter points are almost always off by the 1001/1000 ratio for Blu-Ray also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The patch is only for HD DVD right now, because the HD DVD spec clearly confirms your comments about how to interpret the XML chapter times. The Blu-Ray spec is quite different. It says:

"The mark_time_stamp shall point to a presentation-time in the interval from the IN_time until the OUT_time of the PlayItem referred to by the ref_to_PlayItem_id, measured in units of a 45kHz clock."

Doesn't sound to me as if I should do * 1.001, or what do you think?
I'm a chapter-fanatic mysself. After I extract chapters.txt with eac3to, then convert to frames (and tsMuxeR timecodes) using shon3i's ChapterGen tool, I next examine each chapter location against the DGIndexNV-indexed video in VirtualDub, looking for discrepancies between the chapter marks and the video scene changes. In most (all?) BD cases these chapter marks fall exactly on the first frame of a new scene. But this is for h264 only. If the BD was made with VC1, I often times observe that the chapter points fall a single frame or two beyond the scene change.

Since I use the chapter info to make a qpfile.txt to incorporate into my x264 conversions (to assure there are I-frames where I need them for chapter markers), I need then to adjust the qpfile (and corresponding txMuxeR timecode info) to land exactly on that scene-change frame. Can be a real PIA if there are a lot of chapters...

But it seems I only see this with VC1 BDs, and not with EVERY VC1 BD. But it's as though the mastering tool used w/VC1 is different from h264 (dunno about MPEG2 ottomh). But like I say I don't ALWAYS have to fix these VC1 BDs, just *most* of the time.