View Single Post
Old 13th February 2009, 13:18   #248  |  Link
kozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
@ kozaki

Well, I'm on an rpm based Linux too (openSUSE 11.0) and I don't have any problems with it. I never use mplayer and x264 from the repo's and always compile them myself. I don't have any problems with that on my system and can always use the latest of these programs. I don't know how Mandriva does it since the last time I used it, they were called Mandrake and I used version 8.1 which is many years old.
Please forgive me to ask this here.
froggy1 since you answered this i compiled needed libraries and encoders (e.g. faad2, x264, gpac, libnut, ffmpeg & mplayer) on my Mandriva x86_64 station with some success regarding h264enc's use.

Since then i've had issues with apps relying on the compiled librairies: kino, avidemux, VLC stopped to work, complaining for the lack of e.g. libavcodec.so.51()(64bit). Forcing the re-installation of the packages do not help. Neither makin a dirty symlink from (compiled) libavcodec.so to libavcodec.so.51.

I understand those apps rely on shared libraries/codecs. Basically do we need to compile the whole lot of video related apps as soon as we compile one (loosing the ability to update any of them from the distro binary packages) ? Or is there a way to use both of them, e.g. ffmpeg + ffmeg-svn ? Sorry if there's already a post on this as i couldn't find it.
kozaki is offline   Reply With Quote