View Single Post
Old 7th December 2011, 05:11   #29  |  Link
SAPikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbristow View Post
Tried it out: Looks like you're right Gavino. MP_Pipeline.dll starts up each new process as an instance of MP_Pipeline.dll.slave.exe, which executes the relevant segment of the script via its own instance of AviSynth. Those processes don't appear (at present) to have any way of receiving input from the parent instance of AviSynth other than the script section itself. So, the AviSource (or equivalent) call has to be in the script section that's passed to MP_Pipeline.

A consequence of that is that if there's any common processing that needs to be done to the video before the processing paths diverge (e.g., in my usual cases, denoising and resizing the picture to fit half the screen width), that pre-processing will have to be run twice... Unless you prepare a mezzanine file first with a separate script.

Common *post*-processing, on the other hand is easier: Just put it after the calls to MP_Pipeline.

SAPikachu, can you confirm/critique that analysis?

It works though! I did a test using an MVTools-based frame-doubler, as a simplified proxy for my 3D processing, and a dummy "minimal load encoder" - i.e. just cropping off most of the picture in VirtualDub and saving small rectangle of it, uncompressed. Using MP_Pipeline, instead of the same script without, finished in 58s rather than 95s. During processing, two processor cores were nearly fully used, rather than one.
Yes, your analysis is right. I intentionally left out clip input in MP_Pipeline. Although it is possible to accept clip input, but it may cause thread-safety problems.

In next version, I will add a script variable to slave AviSynth environment so that different slave process can be distinguished in script. And then you can use BRANCH statement to workaround this problem. But I think you can try ThreadRequest, in theory it can give bigger performance boost than MP_Pipeline, since overhead of multiprocessing is big.

ffms2 builds with 10bit output hack:
libav-9a60b1f / ffmpeg-1e4d049 / FFmbc-0.7.1
Built from ffms2 6e0d654 (hack a9fe004)

Mirrors: http://bit.ly/19TwDD3

Last edited by SAPikachu; 7th December 2011 at 05:19. Reason: typo & some addendum
SAPikachu is offline   Reply With Quote