View Single Post
Old 1st June 2009, 18:04   #1273  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't know whether .icm color profiles work or don't work. If they work in games they should also work in madVR, cause madVR basically behaves like a game.

Careful. Are you talking about input or output bitdepth? cr3dlut uses 8bit input and 16bit output! I doubt CLUT can compete with that. Maybe eventually CLUT is 10bit input 10bit output. But I rather think it's probably 8bit input 10bit output. So worse in every way compared to cr3dlut. Also the next question would be: Does the CLUT round higher bitdepth input data down to the CLUT bitdepth? Or does it interpolate? madVR does trilinear interpolation between the 3D 8bit 3dlut. Interpolating an 8bit lut is probably better than rounding to a 10bit lut.
1) simple ICM files do not work in games...they only work in color managed apps(firefox/photoshop/etc)
the only way to get a LUT calibration that works all the time is w/ a more complicated ICC 4.0 file using the <LUT> tags, or w/ ARGYLLCMS.
ARGYLLCMS will play zillions of test patterns automatically(for 25 minutes in HQ mode), and in the end will make a 256 levels 1D LUT for R/G/B that will automatically make the graphic card match perfect calibration(D65/2.2 mostly, and you can actually check the calibration through Color.HCFR afterwards...it's stellar! ΔE is usually 1 on the whole IRE scale )

if someday cr3dlut enables to import the .cal files from ARGYLLCMS, this might indeed become an all-in-one solution

2)well yeah, true...I know the CLUT works in 10bit on CRT, so mostly it's 8bit input > 10bit CLUT > 10bit output over VGA(ARGYLLCMS can measure the CLUT accuracy).

but DVI is 8bit anyway, so how do the 10bit get encoded to 8bit TMDS? no idea, but it's prolly ugly

anyway, I only use the graphic card's CLUT over VGA on my CRT, on DVI I leave the CLUT untouched.

Last edited by leeperry; 1st June 2009 at 18:13.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote