View Single Post
Old 16th March 2013, 15:27   #18017  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
DXVA forces the GPU into (at least) medium power state, iirc.
Might be GPU dependent.
That's true, but I don't think the GPU will drop down into the low power (P12) state when playing videos regardless of GPU load though.
The only way I have been able to do that, is to force the card into the low power state with Nvidia Inspector, but that can cause other problems.

At least, that's what I have found when using CPU decoding and testing with very low resolution (non-demanding) videos played at 100% size. Even when GPU load is below 5%, it never drops down from the medium (P8) power state, into the low (P12) state.

You really do need to measure these things with some kind of meter though, as it's easy to assume something will lower power consumption when it may not. If the GPU is going to be stuck in the P8 state regardless, it might be more efficient to use DXVA than QuickSync - even if QuickSync should technically be more efficient than DXVA decoding.

If CUVID forces your video card into the full power (P0) state unnecessarily, then it may actually be more efficient to use CPU decoding for example. (though I would recommend DXVA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I would love option to lock my GPU on medium power state. It works great with DXVA, but I don't want to use DXVA... and without it GPU runs in full power which is highly power consuming ;|
Why is it that you don't want to use DXVA?
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote