View Single Post
Old 12th September 2019, 00:18   #57363  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Okay this is the follow up to my scenario posted above that I was hoping to get some un-influenced opinions on before going into detail about the puzzle I can't figure out.

From above:
  • CPU: FX-8350
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866 CL 7
  • GPU: R9 270X 2GB
  • No hardware decoding
  • HDMI 1.3 output
  • In your expert opinions, Is it possible to play 4K HDR Bluray remux using madVR?

Now the puzzle I can't figure out is, I can! When I got my 55" C9 OLED I tried an HDR UHD Bluray Remux and it was a messy slideshow. So I just used the TV to play back these files. There was no way my GPU could do what I want, right? However, by accident I loaded up a 4k HDR "calibration" file and to my astonishment it played perfectly! WTF?!?!?

So I did a deeper dive into some madVR settings. Turns out when the bitrate spikes to about 100Mbps queues would collapse and the slideshow would start... But increasing queues with only 2GB VRAM won't work, right? But it does! And the bigger the Present queue the better! It makes no sense. Since Present queues >4 make 1080p playback problematic. I just don't understand how these big queues are possible with 4k. Here is a screenshot of madVR OSD:

This is all with NO "trade quality" boxes checked AND tone mapping enabled (although not crazy):

The real kicker is my GPU is running out of VRAM, constantly dipping into system RAM and then clearing and repeating the cycle over and over:

So how is this possible? Could the very low latency of my RAM help? And why do bigger Present queues work with 4k but not work well with 1080p upscaled to 4k. And big CPU and GPU queues are even worse for HD content. I needed to create profiles for the queue sizes! That doesn't make sense. I wish we could create profiles for the Present queue, but I found a middle ground with 8... still okay for the 4k and the problems with 1080p are acceptable.

Anyway, sorry for the long post... What are your thoughts?

QB