View Single Post
Old 29th October 2005, 22:09   #24  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Motion, 29 October 2005
Bug fix for meandering and slightly faster assembly integer search code.

I've been browsing through papers and I think that at least half-pixel accuracy is needed to do anything useful (because of the half-pixel shift between fields). Quarter-pixel accuracy is preferable -- although for the assembly, I can't at present see a way to deal with quarter-pixel (without sacrificing speed) other than by coding 16 cases... ... ... . (Joy.) So I will probably fight towards that and then think about applications.

@Mug Funky, if you're reading this, anything particular you would like to see this filter do?

Quote:
how are you thinking of handling occlusion and revealing of objects? i suppose that'll come with backward prediction. doing a subtract-from-source shows crossing objects are a problem area.
I have read more about the problem domain now (there are downsides to diving in headfirst ), so I'll try and answer this. First, it's not going to be dealt with at the motion detection stage, simply because there's no way of representing the information without complicating the datastorage format substantially. I.e. an object that has become revealed can't be sensibly represented with any motion vector. Second, depending on the application, we can try and infer this information from the motion vector field; for example we can look for discontinuities, and fallback to some simpler method (for whatever the application is).

Incidentally, I am not sure how well this kind of method will work on foreground objects in animation; the algorithm is not terribly likely to deal well with the fact that their motion is typically at a lower FPS than the motion of the main clip...

Last edited by mg262; 29th October 2005 at 23:06.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote