View Single Post
Old 20th May 2018, 04:38   #234  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
Hello buddies

I come back to you, because I thought about one thing... an important thing !

As some of you know, Higan is the perpect emulator, close to the original experience of the Super Nes, but on the modern display

But I asked myself, how they did to reproduce the original colors, which are darker. Is it simply a way to imitate the feeling of the old CRT display ? I think yes and no... maybe !

I thought one thing : my pictures are in RGB 24 bits, so the levels are 0-255.

But at the time of the CRT display, maybe it was meant to be display in a equivalent of RGB 16-235.

No ?

I tried this, and in fact, my image was close to the image of Higan, even if not exactly (maybe the gamma).

After some other researches, I read that the gamma of the CRT was close to 2.5 too if we compare to the gamma of 2,22 on a modern display.

So I convert the gamma of the image too

Actually :

1 / 0,45 = 2,2222222222222222222222222222222

So I calculated :

2,5 / (1 / 0,45) = 1,125

So, I used this function to transform my gamma and my levels :

And really, it's closer of what I remember of my experience on a CRT display !

Just for the example, the picture of Mr. Nutz with the spider, I remember how it was dark on my CRT screen when I was a child. It really was a dark atmosphere, the moon was very present, like almost the only comforting glow...

By the way, I was always surprised to see that it's so clear on my LCDs with an emulator

As you will see, it's not so bad... I hope !

I change this too :

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2, nsize=0, nns=2, qual=1, etype=0, pscrn=3, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=0)

With "pscrn=3" instead of 4, I noticed that it's closer that what I remember. And yes, I can see the difference !

I compare in zooming with the original picture of Killer Instinct and a the picture of the same game in a video of the Super NT (a real Super Nintendo HD, not an emulator), and it's closer now !

With "pscrn=2" and "pscrn=4", there was something weird. It didn't perfectly match !
NTSC is YIQ, an analog form of YUV, in which signals between 53.6mV and 714mV are converted to RGB between "pure" black and white, at least to whatever limits your crappy TV could achieve. "Correct" color rendering under NTSC is a polite fiction that anyone who ever created or edited content knew was a dirty, dirty lie. "Never The Same Color" is its unofficial nickname.

Byuu picked the colors he did based as closely as possible to an ideally calibrated NTSC monitor, with a bit of haircut off the top to average in the effect of the phosphors dimming every field. It has nothing to do with 16-235, which was a concept not invented until digital video. No game console would use that until HDMI appeared. This task is purely subjective, purely for your own appreciation, and you should pick a scheme that looks aesthetically pleasing to you, not seek a holy grail of perfection that doesn't actually exist.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 20th May 2018 at 04:42.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote