View Single Post
Old 5th January 2021, 05:52   #1  |  Link
bruno321

Decimating a variable framerate file

I have a VFR progressive mkv which has dupe frames in the form of 1-out-of-5. I loaded the file normally into with LWLibavVideoSource, did Tdecimate(0,1,5), this produces a new file, which I need to make VFR as well to keep the synch with the audio. I extracted the timestamps file from the original with mkvextract. However, I can't merely mux this file with the new video as now the frame numbers don't match.

How do I go about this? Is there perhaps a way to "decimate the timecodes file"?

EDIT: I should add that my script for the file is long, involving lots of trimming... So I'm wishing for a solution that wouldn't need to have me adjust all those lines manually. Let me be clear: I was loading the file with LWLibAvVideoSource, which avspmod reports as 30.303fps, then I have some trimming and editing there.

P.S. ideally, if this could somehow be converted to a CFR file, all the better. Am now looking into VFRtoCFR...

EDIT2: Looks like loading the file with ffvideosource + its timecodes option, then using VFRtoCFR, then my script would be fine since the frame numbers are luckily unchanged. I'm encoding it, hopefully everything will be all right. The question about whether it's possible to decimate the timecodes file still stands, though it may just be academic if I actually managed to solve this...

Last edited by bruno321; 5th January 2021 at 06:51.
bruno321 is offline   Reply With Quote