View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 15:30   #930  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
The players read the timecode, converting to frames by division and rounding wrong. It's a game to reach the right chapter point (I-frame). But if you add 1 ms or some more ms the results are good. (The next frame follows 42ms later...). You are right with ceil() but I edit the chapters_ogm.txt manually, and that sucks a lot.
So, in your experience, most players find and use the I-frame that is just before the timecode of the chapter point. Seems logical, since the player has to decode the I-frame to play the frame (more or less) referenced by the timecode. If the chapter point is not an I-frame, the player must go back to find the previous I-frame, and it should never try to find it right after the timecode.

I will verify my code and change it if necessary for the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
One exception: PAL (25 fps, 50 fps)
No chapter manipulation required, because all time codes are perfectly straight. But 3D with PAL fps is no standard.
Yes, and I don't understand why the specs of the blu-ray support the incredibly stupid NTSC-Film timecode. At the time of the invension of the NTSC TV, the synchronisation has been based on the frequency of the AC power. Hence the terrible 29.97 frame rate, and the associated drop/non-drop frames nightmare! But in the 21st century, there is absolutely no good reason to use the AC frequency any more and the NTSC-Video frame rate, except for old videos shots at the time of the NTSC TV. I can understand why 29.97 must still be supported by the modern players, but that should be reserved exclusively to old material, difficult to convert to 24fps.

But why they have invented the terrible NTSC-Film frame rate, and made it the universal standard for the whole world is absolutely incredible. The film rate is 24fps (or 48fps) and nothing else. Now, all modern TVs and BD players are capable of playing any video at that frame rate. Due to the imbecility of the designers, the whole world will still have to support the impossibility to build easily a good time code during a big part of the 21st century. It's probably the most stupid idea of the "experts" who have defined the BD specs. I want to kill them!

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th April 2016 at 15:34.