View Single Post
Old 6th December 2001, 19:23   #8  |  Link
Ozymandis

For reference, I usually use powerdivx or radlight. I like the keyboard seeking in radlight.

As far as viewing the movies on a TV is concerned, it's definitely best to resize since you would almost certainly otherwise have problems exporting the display with some video cards, your AR would be correct, and it would probably encode faster, depending on how much the resolution is being decreased.

I'm your typical college student, though, with two big monitors in the room and a smaller TV

Doom: I've learned a LOT from your guides, thanks btw
As for losing quality though..I really just must disagree...I've taken stillshots at various movie frames from all of these multiple encodes I've done, in high action scenes, still scenes, etc, and in all cases not having resized looked drastically better. (When resizing I kept my bits/pixel in range as advised in your guides). I also did one pass while skipping frames (to get the bits/pixel) to guestimate the best resolution to set. This always kept my real first pass fairly close to what I had desired.

I kept doing this for every movie because I couldn't believe that everyone else would be resizing with the new codec still if the visual difference I'd seen held true.

I -definitely- agree that with 3.11, this is necessary. I just don't think that it's necessarily the best way to go with 4.xx (if it's not critical to have AR absolutely -perfect-).

When resizing, the overall quality of the image is only being improved because you're trusting your resizing algorithm to subtract information from the picture, rather than the codec. I think that the new codec is much more intelligent about what data should be "removed", though, than a non-adaptive resizing algorithm.

I'll see if I can't make some still shots tonight and post them tomorrow.

As b0b0b0b said, hair is always a good thing to look at. Preferably blond

Hey, I just tried the TFM filter. Works great! Thanks Ookami.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote