View Single Post
Old 7th October 2019, 20:03   #1712  |  Link
marsdust

I'm backing up my 3D collection to NAS and save time in the long run not getting out my chair and flipping discs. Many are straight backups via MakeMKV and thus can use Framepacking (preferred) but take up a lot of space.

So just re-encode some of the titles that would not play that much to reduce space, get good compression results with x265 (tolerate 12fps encode times). So since already breaking a spec may as well go full SBS and take advantage of the efficiency of the encoder at 3840x1080 as not constrained by the shiny disc spec.

Plasma TV detects the 3D signal fine and so does the DLP Projector. So although the Framepacked version is better (40GB) on the projector (100ft) the 8GB Full SBS is 95% there. And 3D films are generally clean anyway. Half SBS is not as good on the Projector but appreciate smaller screens would not matter so much and x264 would be fine.

Using a Vero 4K+ (testing the Framepacked beta) and also a $25 x96 mini plays them fine also (the encodes, as x96 does not do Framepacked).

Last edited by marsdust; 7th October 2019 at 20:08. Reason: clarification on x96 playing re-encode fine