View Single Post
Old 9th December 2017, 12:47   #14  |  Link
manolito

I believe you guys are mixing up some things which are not related to each other...

The original question was about alternative software for DVD Decrypter's IFO mode. The purpose was to be able to rip individual episodes and extras from a DVD.

You might remember that DVD Decrypter itself was shut down by Macrovision in 2005. RipItForMe is just a frontend for DVD Decrypter and FixVTS. It adds more current protections plus you can specify to rip either the whole DVD, Main Movie only or Main Movie with menues. It does not offer any way to rip different episodes, so it only makes sense when after the rip DVD Shrink is run to select individual episodes from the (whole DVD) rip.

RipItForMe handles more copy protections than DVD Decrypter itself. But it was shut down by Sony in 2007, so all newer copy protections will not be handled by RipItForMe.

My point is that for the combos you mentioned only DVD Shrink is used for selecting individual episodes. Everything else is just for ripping the whole DVD while removing the copy protection. Development of DVD Shrink stopped in 2005 which means that its handling of copy protection schemes is pretty weak.

To be able to rip DVDs with the latest copy protection schemes you need more recent software. AnyDVD and DVDFab PassKey run transparently in the background and can be used together with DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. AnyDVD costs money, Passkey Lite is free (but I have no idea which restrictions apply for the Lite version). Another free solution for ripping DVDs using the latest copy protection is MakeMKV.

The easiest solution is probably DVD Shrink in conjunction with AnyDVD or Passkey, simply because it lets you preview the different episodes so you can easily decide which ones you want to rip.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 9th December 2017 at 12:50.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote